Edmonds SD budget cuts threaten to silence the music

Edmonds School District is facing a budget shortfall. While this is not unique to Edmonds, the impacts are very personal to many students, families, community, and staff. Please watch Emiko and Elsie’s interview and visit MTHS Band Booster’s page for information on the many ways you can make your voice heard!

Thank you Emiko and Elsie for a advocacy! Your voices matter!

Bulldog Brief News

From the MTHS Band Booster Page

What You Can Do!

Share

• Like our FacebookInstagram, and LinkedIn pages so you can ‘like’ and ‘share’ all of our updates. We need to spread the word.
  • Download and display the “Save The Music” logo on your social media profile to demonstrate your support.
  • Download a “Save The Music” full page, 1/2 page, or 1/4 page flier to display at home, work, in your car, or anywhere that makes a statement.
  • Share your story with us. Feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected] or cc [email protected] when contacting the principal, School Board, and state representatives. We want to share your stories to encourage others to speak up. In addition, we will print everyone’s email and give them to the principal and Board of Directors.

Contact

1. Letter Templates. Feel free to use these templates to contact individuals below.
  2. Email your State Representative. A large portion of our budget issues comes from the state not appropriately funding special eduction. As a result of the state’s poor decision, school districts have to divert funds from other programs to special eduction. The state fully funding special education, as mandated, does help our situation. Find your state representative or select below.
  3. Email the Mountlake Terrace High School Principal and Vice Principals. The official decision on what stays and goes is right here. Show your support for Darin Faul, Gintare Seiger, and the Mountlake Terrace High School Music Program. Communicate positively what the program means to you and impacts it’s had on your life. Be kind but passionate.
  4. Email the Edmonds School District Board and Superintendent to show your support for Mountlake Terrace High School Music, the impact music has had on your life, and that the budget cuts proposed are unacceptable.  Encourage the Board to look more closely at district administrative positions and departments for savings. They need to stay out of the classroom.
  5. Write a letter to the editor at MLTNews.comMy Edmonds News, and Lynnwood Today. Contact Teresa Wippel, [email protected], with your letter of support for music.

Attend

• Attend IN PERSON the special School Board meeting on Tuesday, April 18th, at 6:30 at the District Office.  At this meeting the School Board will hear the first reading of the “reduced education plan” for next year.

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 @ 6:30pm
Boardroom of the Educational Services Center [Subject to change]
20420 68th Ave West, Lynnwood, WA 98036

• Interested in providing public comments at the April 18 meeting? Arrive 30 minutes before the event to sign up.
  • Wear red, bring an instrument, make signs! Even better, attend AND sign up to make public comments. Share with the Board and Superintendent the importance of Mountlake Terrace High School Music and how it meets the academic, social, and emotional needs of our students. Tell your stories. We have got to fight this with our full hearts and not allow them to think our arts are disposable!
  • SAVE THE DATE! April 25 is when the School Board will meet to vote. While we are not sure our specific action at this meeting, save the date. We will share more information as we learn more.