Bulldog Brief

Bulldog Brief

Bulldog Brief

Sergeant Stubby: A Military Doggo

Sergeant Stubby: A Military Doggo

Veteran’s Day is coming up, a time to honor those who worked and those who continue to work to keep our country safe. And it wasn’t just humans – there are many dogs in the military that helped protect and fight for us. One of these dogs is Sergeant Stubby, the first dog to get an official rank in the US Army.

The Story of Stubby

Stubby was found as a puppy by his owner Private J. Robert Conroy, on the campus of Yale University. He joined their group, the 102nd Infantry, 26th Yankee Division, and even learned some things alongside them, such as different signals and salutes. He was smuggled to his first real war experience on the boat to France during World War I. On the boat, he was caught by the commanding officer but was allowed to stay after giving a doggy salute. He became the mascot. He endured a gas injury and was sent to the hospital, but after returning he warned the other soldiers of a similar event and saved many people. He was able to find injured soldiers and call for the paramedics by barking. Out of all this, the thing he is most known for is the time he caught a German spy by grabbing his clothes and barking for his people. After this, Stubby became the first dog to be awarded the title of Seargent. Unfortunately, Seargent Stubby was later badly wounded by grenade shrapnel and had to go to the hospital. Thankfully, he survived to see the end of the war and was awarded many medals!

https://portal.ct.gov/MIL/MAPO/History/People/Stubby-the-Military-Dog

https://www.si.edu/object/nmah_439710