Bulldog Brief

Bulldog Brief

Bulldog Brief

Indigenous Peoples’ Month Interview

Indigenous Peoples Month Interview

November is Indigenous Peoples’ month so we interviewed one of our very own students!

Let’s get right to it.

Q: Thank you for being here today!

A: It’s my pleasure, thank you for having me!

Q: Okay, let’s start with some background. What tribe(s) are you from?

A: Sugstoon from the Sugpiaq tribe

Q: Where would this be loc-

A: Prince William Sound, Alaska on Nucheck Island.

Q: Wow, very quick! Has discrimination against Native Americans affected you very much?

A: Well, I don’t really look like a stereotypical native person so no, not a lot, but I know it’s affected my grandmother and other people in my family.

Q: [follow-up] Do you think this heritage month helped with discrimination against other Native Americans?

A: Yeah I think having Native American Heritage Month is awesome. Every month should be it.

Q: Do you think that much of the information presented in the classroom is true?

A:  A lot of it I suppose. I wasn’t really there so I can’t really say “well they said this”.

Q: [follow-up] Do you think there are any ways curriculum could be improved?

A: I feel like we have a lot of opinions on the colonists’ side and I think it be cool to have more opinions on the native side and to talk about the missing native women and stuff like that that’s still happening.

Q: Do you have any tips for other Native American students about staying close to your heritage or in other areas?

A: Sign up for the Native American student thing!* I can’t remember what it’s called but it’s basically this corporation in the school run by Karen and we do a lot of things like make medicine pouches and drums and we have elders to talk to and interact with. Or you could always just read a book about your tribe.

Q: Is there anything else that you’d like to be included in this interview?

A: No, not really.

Q: Okay that’s all I need! Thank you for your time and your responses.

And that concludes our interview! We don’t usually publish just the interviews that we do, but I thought it might be interesting to do this time. I encourage anyone reading this to do some research about this heritage month and about Native American cultures to celebrate this month.

*It’s the Indian Education Program! The title’s a little outdated but the experience is well worth it.

1
View Comments (1)